Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Power Rangers Super Megaforce - Volume 1 DVD Review

Welcome to my review of Power Rangers Super Megaforce Volume 1: Earth Fights Back, released by Lionsgate last week Tuesday (12/9/14). I ordered my copy from Barnes & Noble online and just received it today. I went around to local Target, Best Buy, Toys R Us and Walmart stores and was unable to find it, which is why I ordered online. First up, the packaging.

Front
 The DVD comes packaged in a standard "eco-friendly" case just as previous Power Rangers releases from Lionsgate have. I personally have a strong distaste for the cases, as I feel they weaken the structural integrity of the case, but what can you do. The slip cover is very nice, it has a nice reflective holofoil look to it. The front cover has a cool shot of the core 5 Rangers, along with the Sky Ship and the Armanda's ship in the upper right and left corners, respectively. Overall, I really like the design of the front cover.

Back
The back is honestly kind of plain, with just a picture of the core 5 Rangers. The Samurai / Super Samurai DVD releases (can't speak for the Megaforce ones, since I do not own them) had a screencap  to go along with each episode on the back, which I thought was a nice touch. Generally speaking, I think the packaging as a whole is really well done. Now, onward to the content itself!

Inside
This DVD release contains four episodes (the first four of the season, as is to be expected):

  • "Super Megaforce"
  • "Earth Fights Back"
  • "Blue Saber Saga"
  • "A Lion's Alliance"

Additionally, as you may have noticed, a code for a Digital UltraViolet copy of these four episodes is included (I blacked it out, naturally). As I first said when Volume 1 of Megaforce was announced, I think including a Digital UltraViolet copy adds another level of value to this DVD. The video and audio quality is what you would expect from previous Lionsgate Power Rangers releases, so there isn't much to say about that. English 5.1, along with French and Spanish 2.0 Dolby Digital audio tracks are included.  

Now, let's get to the major downside of this DVD: there are no bonus features to be seen! I really think this is a major letdown. While the previous bonus features we've seen on previous releases are lackluster at best, you would at least think there would be something. While no bonus features didn't detract from me purchasing this DVD, it is my major gripe with this release.

Main Menu
The main menu is actually kind of cool. What you see above is the static main menu screen, but after a few seconds clips begin to play, filling up the background with an instrumental version of the theme playing.
Episodes
Set Up

Not really too much to say about the episode select and set up screens. They're there and they serve their respective purposes. I really like this release, as it has really sweet holofoil packaging and contains the first four episodes of Super Megaforce.Yes, there are no bonus features, and that is my one major issue with this DVD. Here's to more (and hopefully laden with bonus features!) volumes!

Technical Specifications:
  • 2014 Color - Approx. Runtime: 92 minutes
  • Region Code 1 (NTSC)
  • Closed-captioned
  • 16x9 Widescreen, 1.78:1 Aspect Ratio
  • English 5.1, French and Spanish 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment

VR Troopers - Unreleased Kenner Prototype Concept Sketches (Scans)

 Working through my backlog of materials to scan and share... Here are scans of original concept sketches for a line of VR Troopers figures ...